Sunday 10 April 2016

If I woke up 30lbs Overweight Tomorrow...

...this is what I'd do.

All of the methods below are taking from and form part of The Fighting Fit Methodology - time-proven principles that we have used to help hundreds of people to get in shape over the past 10 years.

Whichever method you choose, chances are that if successful, it will be based on certain key principles

This is my interpretation of these principles.

There are many ways to reach a destination, and all can work. The key is to find the one that works best for you, your lifestyle and your personal circumstances. Once you find it, take it and run with it. Too many people hop between different methods after just 2 weeks of half-hearted commitment before delcaring "it doesn't work" and then jumping on the next bandwagon. Unsurprisingly, these tend to be the same people who are still out of shape year after year.

Add to this all the different methods floating aroud the internet and social media, it's no wonder people suffer from ADD health and fitness-wise. What people need is clarity. So here's my cystal clear version of events.

So, if I woke up with an additional 30lbs of blubber strapped to my body, here's is the plan of action I would put in place staright away.

Goal Setting, Time Limits & Mindset

First of all, I'd get cyrstal clear about how much weight I wanted to lose and by when. I'd want to maintain as much muscle mass as possible during the "whale skin striping" and avoid re-bound weight gain, so I'd give myself a super-strict 16 week deadline to work with - no exceptions or cop outs. The deadline would be set in stone, providing me with enough "pressure" to ensure I stick to the plan. This avergaes about 2lbs of fat per week, which is a safe, well-established number that won't leave me with a ruined metabloism long term. It may be a little more per week during the intial stages, but I'd expect it to slow down once the first 15-20lbs had been shed, so it would all balance out in the long run.

I'd also take some rather unflattering pictures, take my scale weight and measurements on key areas of my body such as my waist, hips & chest and let a few close people (who I know would offer support) know about my goals - I wouldn't make it public or post it all over social media however.

Diet

If I was going to set a calorie intake target, I'd start at bodyweight in lbs x 15. I'm not a fan of counting calories for most (at least not until I deem it necessary), so instead I'd simply prescribe the following to start, and adjust it week to week based on my results:

  • 5 palm sized portions of lean protein-dense food per day
  • 5-8 fist sized portions of vegetables per day
  • 5 cupped handful sized portions of high fibre, low-sugar quality carb sources per day
  • 5 thumb sized portions of quality fat sources per day

On the days I did formal weight training in the gym, I would set it up like this:

  • Breakfast (1 portion each of protein/carbs/vegetables/fats)
  • Mid-morning (1 portion of protein/fat/vegetables)
  • TRAINING (always at lunch time)
  • Post-Workout (1 portion of protein & vegetables, 2-3 portions of carbs, minimal fats)
  • Mid-afternoon (1 portion of protein/vegetables/fats)
  • Evening Meal (1 portion of protein/vegetables/fats, 1-2 portions of carbs)
On the days I didn't do formal weight training, I'd use a modified method of intermittant fasting where I'd eat minimally throughout the day and save the lion's share of my daily calories for my evening meal, like this:

  • Breakfast (1 portion each of protein/carbs/vegetables/fats)
  • Lunch (1 portion of protein/carbs/vegetables/fast)
  • Mid-afternoon (1/2 portion each of protein/vegetables/fats - only if seriously hungry)
  • Evening Meal (2 and a half portions of protein/vegetables/fats, 3 portions of carbs)
This set up allows me to be socialable and still come in under my daily calorie limit. I have used it repeatedly during dieting phases in the past and it works really well. The key is to eat just enough throughout the day to keep the edge off your appetite. Most people seem to fail on diets as they consume too high a number of their daily calorie limit before dinner, and then fail to restrict themselves during what is traditionally the largest, most sociable meal of the day - hardly a surprise. The result is too many calories consumed and sabotaged results.

I have found the above set up to combat this well, on repeated occasions.

I'd allow myself 2-3 "treats" per week (small piece of chocolate, small dessert), but no full on "cheat meals" (entire pizzas etc) - these I would save for special occasions such as birthdays or weddings only. I'd also be sure to drink 2 litres of water per day and take my daily fish oil and multi-vitamin.

So long as I hit at least 2lbs of weight loss per week, I wouldn't change a thing. The goal is always to consume the highest amount of carbs and calories as possible whilst still seeing results. If I got to the stage where I went 1-2 weeks with no change, I'd first adjust my activity level (see below) before adjusting my caloric intake. When it came to adjusting my calories, I'd simply reduce my carb portion size down to 1/2 a portion at 2 meals per day and see where that took me. I'd then remove another 1/2 portion per week as required until thngs got moving again, never dropping below 2 full portions of carbs per day. If I had to go this low, this would be followed by a carb "re-feed" one day on the weekend to start, potentially dropping to once every 10-14 days if needed. Protein and fat intake would stay relatively consistent throughout.

Training

I'd start with 3 training sessions per week in the gym. These would all include a blend of strength work and metabolic conditioning work (alternatively, you could do 2 full-body strength-based sessions at the gym and then one interval session at home/outdoors if you can't get to the gym that often).

I'd alternate exercises back and forth to maximise density of work within a fixed time frame (45-60 mins), place an emphasis on strength work and include metabolic "finishers" at the end of each workout. I'd start with moderate loads and aim to add small increments of load each week to ensure progressive overload throughout the training cycle to minimise loss of muscle mass.

If my weight loss stalled, I'd first add an interval session to the weekly set up, increasing my training to 4 days per week, before altering my diet. This interval session would probably be hill sprints, although other options could be used. I'd then add a second interval session if required, but would make this "off feet" cardio and base it around the bike or rower in the gym or on low-impact kettlebell and bodyweight circuits.

Once I was up to 5x per week training wise, I'd then adjust calories (as detailed above) as required.

I'd then simply stay consistent until I hit my target.

Weight would be tracked weekly, pictures taken every two weeks and measurements every two weeks as well. This would hold me accountable and allow me to make adjustments as required based on the results expereinced week to week.

And that's it.

If you are reading this sitting at 20-30lbs overweight and are ready to do something about it, then feel free to print this out and implement it as written. For the best results though, get a qualified and experienced fitness professional to help you out, especially with the workout design and implementation.

If you want rid of it badly enough, you can do it - you just need to be ready to say goodbye to the old you and have a clear idear of what you need to do to get to your goal. Maybe this blog post could form a starting point for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment